السبت، 16 مارس 2013

Drug elimination

 Drug elimination


Drugs are cleared primarily by the liver and kidneys. Excretion into the urine is a major route of elimination for metabolites and unchanged drug.


organs that excrete drugs eliminate water soluble  .

Lipid soluble drugs are not readily eliminated until they are metabolized to more polar compounds.

Possible sources of excretion include:

Breath -Urine -Saliva -Perspiration -Feces -Milk -Bile-Hair.

- kidney is the most important organ that eliminate drugs and their metabolites.

-Substances excreted in the feces are the orally ingested unabsorbed drugs or metabolites excreted in the bile that are not reabsorbed from the intestinal tract.

- Pulmonary excretion  is important as it pertains to the elimination of anesthetic gases and vapors, as well as alcohol.

 

 A. Renal elimination of a drug

1- Glomerular filtration:


Drugs enter the kidney through renal arteries, which divide to form a glomerular capillary plexus.

 no bound to albumin drugs flows through the capillary slits into Bowman's space as part of the glomerular filtrate . 
The glomerular filtration rate (125mL/min) is normally about twenty percent of the renal plasma flow (600 mL/min). 
(it is not affected by PH and lipid solubility.)

 

2- Proximal tubular secretion:


Drugs that were not transferred into the glomerular filtrate leave the glomeruli through efferent arterioles,

 which divide to form a capillary plexus surrounding the nephric lumen in the proximal tubule. 
Secretion primarily occurs in the proximal tubules by two energy-requiring active transport (carrier-requiring) systems, one for anions
 (for example, deprotonated forms of weak acids) 
and one for cations
(for example, protonated forms of weak bases). Each of these transport systems shows low specificity and can
transport many compounds; thus, competition between drugs for these carriers can occur within each transport
system . [Note: Premature infants and neonates have an incompletely developed tubular secretory mechanism and, thus, may retain certain drugs in the glomerular filtrate.]

3-Distal tubular reabsorption:


drug concentration increases when it  moves toward the distal convoluted tubule, and exceeds that of the perivascular space.

  if The drug is uncharged, may diffuse out of the nephric lumen, back into the systemic circulation. to minimize the amount of back-diffusion, increasing the ionized form of the drug in the lumen may be used , and hence, increase the clearance of an undesirable drug. As a general rule, weak acids can be eliminated by alkalinization of the urine, whereas elimination of weak bases may be increased by acidification of the urine.

4- Role of drug metabolism:


 Most drugs are lipid soluble and without chemical modification would diffuse out of the kidney's tubular lumen when the drug concentration in the filtrate becomes greater than that in the perivascular space. 

To minimize this reabsorption, drugs are modified primarily in the liver into more polar substances using two types of reactions:

- Phase I reactions.

  that involve either the addition of:-
hydroxyl groups( or) the removal of blocking groups from hydroxyl, carboxyl, (or) amino groups.

 
and

 -Phase II reactions .

 that use conjugation with sulfate, glycine,( or) glucuronic acid to increase drug polarity.
 The conjugates are ionized, and the charged molecules cannot back-diffuse out of the kidney lumen.

هناك تعليقان (2):

  1. If you have Herpes in your whole body such as fever blisters, hsv, or roofing shingles you know what it is like to stay with the pain and discomfort that herpes delivers. I don't need to tell you how awesome it would be to find something that works so well that you no longer need to fear about stress or outbreak,Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my herpes in two weeks of taking it.is genuine and natural herbal medicine it has no side effect, The reason I'm writing this is that I promised Dr Itua I will share his herbal work to the world to see Herpes is no more a big deal.also Dr Itua can as well cure the following diseases...HIV,Hsv 1/2,Hepatitis B,Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer,Leukuemia Cancer,Lung Cancer,Brain CANCER,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Diabetes, Men/Woman Infertility, Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Facator V Leiden Mutation , Lottery Spell,Copd, Shingles,Fibroid, Fibromyalgia, Liver/Kidney Inflamotry, Epilepsy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic Asthma. Here His Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . Whatsapp Phone.+2348149277976. I paid for his herbal medicine and sent it to me through Courier Service which I pick it urgently and used.

    ردحذف
  2. My chemotherapy treatments...

    I'm going back to share my experience now because the emotional pain and suffering I had from breast cancer has subsided. I still cry when I share my story, but I no longer feel like a victim of cancer.
    In June 2005, I started chemotherapy. My oncologist recommended I start chemo first then have surgery. I had to undergo 8 rounds of chemo, once every two weeks. It was called dose-dense. I was on three rounds of AC, three rounds of Taxotere, then the rest on Taxol. I can still remember it like it was just yesterday. The first round of chemo wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wasn't that sick. I was thinking I can do this. Chemo was not that bad. Boy, was I wrong. The second round hit me hard. My red blood cells were low so I was given a shot of Procrit. I normally got sick on the third day. I would go in for treatment on a Thursday, get the Procrit shot on Friday (if necessary), and then be sick in bed for 3-5 days. In The next round, I didn't get the Procrit shot. I still feel sick, but not as sick as the last round. When I got really sick on my next round after getting the Procrit shot, I realized the shot was making me feel worse. So I keep searching for natural herbs then I came across Dr Itua herbal center who cure disease like Herpes,Cancer,Men & Women Infertility,Love Spell,Body Pain,Parkinson,ALS,MS,Diabetes,Hepatitis,COPD Dr Itua was the only solution to my condition so I purchase his herbal medicine and I finished the treatment complete as I was instructed without surgeon I got cured, I asked him what will I do to give my thanks then he ask me to testify about his work so reason for me dropping this on here to help someone out there with health challenge, Thank God! Dr Itua was a lot better.

    **Feel free to send Dr Itua a message through drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or visit his website www.drituaherbalcenter.com if you have any questions regarding the treatments or for any health challenges.

    ردحذف

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...